The First Avenue Athletes Village Housing Co-op building at was built to some of the highest standards of environmental sustainability.
Here are just some of the features:
- A LEED Gold certified building in a LEED Neighbourhood Development (ND) Platinum certified neighbourhood.
- Green roofs with storm water catchment used for gardens, waterscapes and the children’s water feature at Hinge Park.
- Passive building design uses features like natural light, natural ventilation, insulation on the outside of the building and triple-pane windows to reduce energy use and improve comfort.
- Organic waste program and onsite composting
- All units are heated by the Neighbourhood Energy Utility.
- Energy monitoring gives each suite technology that allows members to monitor their own energy and water usage.
For more information on the sustainability features see the City of Vancouver’s Olympic Village web page.